Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2013/10/18

Q.

Feeling down

Any ideas on how I can stop myself from feeling down?

Expert's Reply

A.

- 2013/10/18

Excellent responses from Lisa and Maria. Its actually somewhat abnormal NOT to "feel down" now andf then --- one's mood shifts and there are better and worse days, and many ways to civert oneself and cheer oneself up.  Research tends to confirm what I have always recommended anyway,  that one is more likely to cheer oneself up and end feeling better by trying to help someone else and cheer them up, than by entirely focussing on oneself.  Supposing, of course, that the other person would actually welcome such attention ! 
If your mood is unreasonably down and miserable for an extended period of days, and there is a real possibility that a Depression may be arising, its wise to see one's GP for a checkup on other relevant symptoms,  to consider this possibility, as it may deserve some more complex assistance, perhaps with meds or CBT style counselling that helps you learn how to handle these moods and feelings.

4
user comments

C.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/10/21

Lady I think you deserve better. How many people get a scholarship today and have a better future? Do you want to be stuck with an unwanted pregnancy and runaway dad? No ways- today's woman is liberated. I would say get over it and get on with your life. I wish mote ladies could take that brave step and not try to please society. Enjoy life and look to a better future

Posted by: Karen | 2013/10/21

When you get up in the morning say to yourself I'm not going to be down today. I'm going to be happy, make it a conscious out loud decision, and do all the nice things Maria suggested. If you are not suffering from depression or bi-polar disease. it will definitely lift your spirits.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Maria | 2013/10/18

How long have you been feeling this way? Are there specific reasons for it? One must distinguish between "feeling down" or "having the blues" and clinical depression, which is more serious and needs professional help. If you're simply feeling down, go for a walk in a nature reserve or on the beach, read an upbeat book, go out for coffee with a friend, soak in a relaxing bath, volunteer at a children's home or homeless shelter, shop for and cook a delicious meal, do something nice for someone as a complete surprise, smile at a stranger, spring clean your house, go and see a funny movie...

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Lisa | 2013/10/18

I am battling with the same question today and yesterday, allthough I am on stong meds to help me though. But, I will make me a cup of tea, or talk to someone about their life, to get my mind of things. Or try cleaning the house, that really helps me. Or phone someone. Just get busy.

Reply to Lisa

Want to comment?