Question
Posted by: | 2017/02/17

Can my gynecologist insert a supra-pubic catheter for me?

I am interested in exploring what options are still open to me (if any), as a 51 year old woman with multiple sclerosis (MS), neurogenic bladder dysfunction, wet OAB and high post-void residuals (265ml). I self-catheterize 5 times a day. I have also been told that I have a trabeculated bladder and neurogenic bladder dysfunction. I have tried Vesicare (which didn't help at all). I had a Medtronic sacral neurostimulator device inserted in 2014. (It was also of no help at all, and I recently had it removed). I had intravesical botox on 11 October 2016. It helped enormously for the incontinence but my neurologist has warned me to avoid it, in future, as it triggered a major MS relapse. (I was rushed to hospital by ambulance in the early hours of 12 October 2016, and was on a Solumedrol drip for 3 days). The relapse left me with clonus in both feet, and I am still struggling to walk (more than 4 months later). I am now considering having a suprapubic catheter inserted, when my botox wears off. Who should I consult with for this purpose? A urologist, a urogynaecologist or a general surgeon? Who all is able to do this kind of operation?

- 2017/02/21

Probably a urologist would be your best bet.

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2017/02/20

This should be done by a urological surgeon. However can be done by a trained nurse. http://www.mediplus.co.uk/c-Suprapubic-Foley-Catheter-Introducing-Sets Uses a guidewire for placement, so removes all the guess work