Question
Posted by: Christine Botha | 2013/06/09

Q.

Can I take more than one supplement that is indicated to be taken on an empty stomach, at the same time?

I have to take a lot of supplements currently, prescribed by a medical health care provider and some i have to take before meals. I want to know if i can take these together or do i have to wait 30 mins after each one to take the next? How long after taking supplements like cogimax or SAMe, will it leave the stomach?

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageVitamin Expert
- 2013/06/10

Hi Christine, if you take supplements on an empty stomach, they spend about 30 minutes in your stomach before they would go through to your small intestine. If you take supplements with a meal (in other words, up to 15 minutes before eating, they can spend up to 3 hours in your stomach, depending on the size  of your meal. So, if you take your medication 30 minutes before your meal, you can then safely take your supplements after your meal. I hope this makes sense and answers your question. Kind regards, Andrea du Plessis 

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: Christine | 2013/06/10

Thanks Andrea, I have to take the Cogimax and SAMe (both supplements) before meals - what i want to know is, can i take them together before the said meal or do i have to take 1, wait 30 mins, take the other one and then have my meal 30 min later? I am afraid that the supplements interfere with one another if taken at the same time. Thanks so much for the speedy reply! Christine

Reply to Christine

Want to comment?