Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2017/08/04

Cough still present years after TB.

I was diagnosed with Pulmonary TB in 2011 and was fully treated in 2011 as well. I had a hole in my upper left lung as a result of the TB. Its 6 years later and I still end up coughing every winter for no reason even if I don't have a cold i will still cough. Does having TB back then have anything to do with this cough?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2017/08/18

Yes, it is probably related to the TB.  After TB there can be damage to the airways called bronchiectasis and from time to time in the future one can get super added infection in these damaged airways.  It doesn’t necessarily mean you have TB again but if your sputum changes colour you may need antibiotics.  This condition can also be progressive.  It’s best you see a doctor about this and preferably one experienced in matters of the chest and TB.