Question
Posted by: Mary | 2014/01/09

Are "kids" breakfast cereals very detrimental to a weight-loss/maintenance plan?

Hi I am an active 31 year old female, and not overweight at all. I really like a few of the breakfast cereals aimed at children, in particular the Milo and O-tees ones. I have previously heard that the high sugar content in these can be detrimental to weight loss, or to maintaining a goal weight. I compared the sugar content of Special-K and these cereals, and the "kids" cereals have double the sugar content per 100g of Special K (kids: 30-33g, special K: 15g). What would your advice be on eating these cereals for breakfast? Apart from the sugar, is there anything else that could be detrimental in terms of my weight? Are there any benefits to these cereals, e.g. sustained energy, feeling full for long, fibre etc? I do eat the cereals with fat free milk. Your advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!