Question
Posted by: Loraine | 2008/08/28

9Yr old cat with Asthma

My cat is on Seretide that I give to her via a pediatric inhaler. Is there any other way to treat her?? I was told to give her medication orally would shorten her life span. Is this a common problem in cats??

Dear Loraine

You get a drug that dilates the airways and cortisone that can be used in the inhaler. Most people use a combination of both. Prednisilone (cortisone) can safely be used without shortening the life span. It must however be used at the lowest dose to control clinical signs and every other day as well. I would go for a second opinion.