Question
Posted by: Scarlet | 2009-09-14

94.7 Cycle Challenge

HI. Is there any diet that could be recommended to follow leading up to the 94.7 cycle challenge. I' m doing the race for the first time this year, have started training a couple of months ago, but been cycling socially since the beginning of the year. I' ve also started taking spinning classes (2-3 per week). I have never been a sporty person - joining a gym for the first time in my life this year (I' m 34) and this is by far the most exercise I have ever done. I' m really unsure of what my body needs to do all this work. I also want to loose some weight and shape/firm up with all this exercising (especially belly flab and thighs), and I' m really not seeing the results I thought I would, so I' m worried about changing from salads/veg and very little carbs and fat to food that might cause me to gain weight. I have had weight issues all my life. Please help

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Scarlet

The answer is not simple and will take at least an hour’s consultation to explain all you need to know, thus I suggest you visit a dietician or read some of the replies in the archives of this website to at least give you a better understanding.

The starting point is to calculate how many calories your body needs per week – this will obviously included all the energy needed for your training. Next you will need to split that calorie value into 6 meals per day with a 50% carb intake, 30% protein intake, and 20% fat intake. In the event of wanting to lose weight you will need to reduce your total calorie intake with about 500 calories per day. The rest is all discipline to stick to those values.
You have taken a great step in wanting to compete at such a high level, thus I suggest you value your body enough to take the next to go see a sports nutritionist to help you to achieve your goals and your best!

Good luck and take care!
Vanessa

2
Posted by: Nazgul | 2009-10-14

Go to cyclechallenge.co.za and look for training info. There are great programs to download, which should help you to get fit for the race.

Do not worry about km' s, rather work on time in the saddle. 90min, 3 days during the week and 2h30 - 3h30 on Saturdays AND Sundays.

Good luck with the race, and keep up the training!

Reply to Nazgul
Posted by: Andrew | 2009-09-27

Hi there,

I have some what the same problem as u with the firming up but please go and do this and u will see a difference in your riding, go and cycle atleast 20 - 30 km every day and at weekends u must put in atleast 100km, the more you cycle the easyer it wil become, i cycle to. U can mail me and we can chat if u choose to do that. Sterkte met die oefening en die race

Reply to Andrew