Question
Posted by: Worried Mom | 2011-10-31

9 year old not poo often enough

I have 9 yr old twin girls who never had " normal stool management" , they mostly constipated. Changed diets, increased their fibre intake, increased water drinking it didn''t help much, it became " normal"  that they will pass stool once after three to four days.The stool will be so huge it blocks the toilet.But As they grew I also tried talking to them to make them realise they need to eat fruits, veges, drink lot of water and go to the bathroom evry day inorder for the problem to go away.Then they will normalise for about three weeks, easily go to the bathroom atleast after every two meals a day(but the stool will still be huge but not hard)Of late they will feel the urge to go poo, go and hide in the toilet, squeeze legs together until the urge goes away and then come out of the toilet. when i see them do that and tell them to sit on the toilet and poo, they immediately do without any trouble, they even tell me it''s not painfull at all nor is the poo hard, then i ask them why don''t they just poo instead of holding it in they say they don''t know, they can go for more than a week without poo if i don''t tell them to go poo and there will be marks on their panties everyday if they don''t poo for so long. how do i help them overcome this?

This is a rather complex problem and I do suggest that you consult a paediatrician for an examination and treatment. A consultation with a psychiatrist will also be beneficial, in order to determine if there is any underlying psychological problem.

Feedback will be appreciated.