Question
Posted by: Santie | 2008/10/21

9 Year Old - Just dont know what to do

I have a 9 year old, smart , lovable and most intelligent little boy. He is outgoing, takes part in sports at school and extra mural. Loves the outdoors and is very creative.

For the past 2-years I have been getting one bad note after another from his teacher with regards to his behaviour at school. Recently some kids take it upon themselves to discipline him aswel.

To sum up the notes: he appears to be rude, aggressive, irritates the children in his class and simply does not co-operate with his teacher (does work what he wants to do). I am so shocked and concerned about this as he is just the opposite at home.

We base our life on Christian values and try our very best to motivate and be positive.

I have taken him for tests ADHD/ADD but according to the Dr he has no sign etc.

Hubby and I just dont know what to do. He is so young.

Please your advise is most valued and appreciated.

Santie

What was needed was for him to be properly assessed by a child psychiatrist or psychologist BROADLY, NOT to be tested for ADD. Never start with a diagnosis, rather than an assessment. He sounds as though he has many strengths and capacities which could make him excellent as time goes by, but has specific behaviour probl;ems within a specific setting, at school, which need to be investigated by a child shrink, and a profgram worked out to extend effective discipline there, and to reward him for good behaviours