Posted by: Ally | 2009-10-05

9 month old waking continuously

My 9-mnth old falls asleep quite easily, but he keeps wakimg up 2-4 times a night. He goes to bed at about 19:00 and then wakes up from 23:30 onwards. Last night he woke up at 21:30. He screams himself awake and then I can' t settle him again. He also sleeps very restlessly - he rolls around the whole time and this often wakes him up as well. I' ve tried leaving him to cry, obbviously after checking nappy/winds/comfort etc...but he just screams louder and louder. I usually end up feeding him a 200ml bottle when he wakes up between 01:00 and 02:00 and then he sleeps until about 03:45 or so. He also often just sits in his cot and if we ignore him he screams like crazy. He even has bags under his eyes so I know the poor little thing must be exhausted. He used to sleep through from birth until about 6 months, since then he hasn' t slept through once. We are at our wits end - I have to comes to work in the day and function like normal, but this is becoming very hard to maintain.Where do I go from here?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There are various techniques to help him, but one will first ant to know that there is nothing underlying the problem. I think you need to discuss this with your pediatrician.

Posted by: Elmi | 2009-10-08

It if makes you feel any better, it sounds like you are discribing my 9 month old daughter to a tee! She slept through form 11 weeks to 6 months and hasn' t since. Also goes to bed at 19:00 and wakes up every so often crying. I' m at my wits'  end.

Reply to Elmi