Question
Posted by: liezle | 2010/08/10

9 month old chronic blocked nose

Dear Dr,
my son of 9 months has had a chronic blocked nose since he was 3 months old. i have tried everything under the sun!!. i took him to an ENT specialist last week who told me that my son''''''''s nose is completely closed up from using to many nasal decongesteds. he has now done the following: given me 1x budaflem nasal spray each morning and texa syrup 1.5ml in the evenings. He told me i must under so circumstances use any type of nasal spray. Does this sound right to you? his nose is blocked during the night and day, sometimes runny...the worst is in the early morning hours, when he will wake up because of his blocked nose. also, what is glue ears?

Expert ImageSinus Expert

Most cases of blocked noses in babies are due to mucosal swelling for which there are many causes. The treatment with intranasal steroids, like budeflam, are frequently indicated. Allergy testing in this age group is unsatisfactory and exclusion diet is sometimes tried. Antihistamines might help, i.e. Texa. Saline sprays are helpful but no other sprays, as advised. The doctor must also establish whether your babies adenoids are not part of the problem as these have to be surgically removed. Glue ears are a laymans term for fluid buildup in the middle ears, caused by allergy, rhinitis, adenoids etc. This causes hearing loss and might lead to structural abnormalities in the ear drum and middle ear. Sometimes insertion of ventilation tubes, also known as grommets, are indicated

3
Posted by: Loretta | 2014/03/07

Dear Dr, I don't want to self-diagnose doc I believe my son also has some kind of sinus. he's nose is blocked every single night and partly blocked during the day. I'm scared to use over the counter medicines. 2009, I took him to an ENT specialist and had his tonsils and adenoids removed thinking that this problem would end. he suffers from a runny nose (not all the time), itchy eyes and nose. he also complains of sour ears from time to time. please advise what I can do to help my boy! thanking you in advance

Reply to Loretta
Posted by: Sinus Expert | 2010/08/11

Reply to Sinus Expert
Posted by: Sinus Expert | 2010/08/11

Reply to Sinus Expert