Question
Posted by: Cammy | 2012/01/30

8month old baby

Dearest Doc,

Please advise me i have an 8 month old baby ,we introduced her on solids when she was 6 months , so her diet is as follows nestum in the morning , bottle milk (she is on nan hypoalleginic caurse she had a bit of acsema ) and between 1and two she has purity fruit or veg and more bottle on demand.she has breast milk through out the night.Yesterday 3 hours after her lunch she was restless and we decided to feed her more purity which she finished.My question am i over feeding her if i give 3 solids a day over and above her milk intake.Thanks

Dear Cammy
According to the latest edition of my nutrition handbook, "Infants and toddlers have an innate ability to regulate energy intake. Parents should understand the cues of hunger and satiety.." (Krause 2011). The important thing for parents is to learn to interpret a child's hunger signals. If your lassie was restless yesterday because it was hot or she was uncomfortable or she wanted attention or to be picked up, and NOT because she was actually hungry then feeding her every time she displays a change in behaviour may cause overfeeding and weight gain. It is also important not to give a small child large portions. In general, 1 tablespoon of infant porridge and/or pureed fruit or vegetables per feeding is more than adequate. If you are already giving your child a whole bottle of Purity at a feeding, then this may also cause weight gain. So try to allow your child to use her inborn ability to regulate her own energy intake. She is after all, still receiving adequate nutrition from her bottle feeds. It is also important to monitor your child's weight, so that if she suddenly starts to gain weight rapidly, you know that you are overfeeding her and can adjust her food intake.

2
Posted by: hajra | 2012/02/01

hi,
becareful not to overfeed as my daughter was round about the same age and at 9 months she went of the growth chart. the doctor did advise that she will become astmatic and that is a problem. good to do a food allegy test for the acsema because i did not know my daughter was allergic to peanuts and only found this out later. good luck

Reply to hajra

Dear Cammy