Question
Posted by: Zoe | 2008/07/31

86 year old incontinent dad

Please help. My 86 year old father has progressed rapidly in the past year in that he would only wet the bed first thing in the morning but now, during the day, by the time he feels he has to ' go'  it is too late and he has wet all his clothes.
I initially bought him one of those male urination bottles so that he could use that asap in the morning while still sitting on the edge of his bed but the urine still seems to end up everywhere but in the bottle.
During the day, he often wets himself every half an hour or so, even though I have tried making him use the loo every ten to fifteen minutes. I am afraid my dad is a state pensioner so we cannot afford those extremely expensive diapers for adults and my own version of home made diapers just don' t fit well or work.
He does not want to spend money and a whole day sitting at the hospital to have that special blood test done to test the condition of his prostate as each year the results are good - no sign of anything wrong.
If I would take him to a DR - is there in fact anything they could do for this out of control incontinence? I am at my wits end.....Thanking you kindly.....

Hi Zoe
See if you can find a condom catheter system at Dischem - it looks like a condom, you put a double sided sticky tape at the base of the penis, then roll the condom up and stick the top part to the tape. The bottom end has an opening, which you then connect to a thin pipe which leads to a small bag that he can tie to his lower leg. It is not visible when he wears his pants and ensures that he stays dry - the bag you can empty every few hours as needed with a little tap at the bottom. He can also sleep with this. Buy the right size condom for him - not too large!!