Question
Posted by: Shenzi | 2011/12/12

80 and on cymgen

My mom is 80 yrs she is on cymgen 60 now for Almost 2months and she was on cymgen 30 for almost 7 months .she has gained a lot of weight .she does not sleep well despite taking Ativan and half a stilnox .her personality has changed since .i m asking for a second opinion .is it necessary for my mom to take an antidepressant at this age because it does not seem to be doing
Good for her .pls help I need advice

I think Cymgen is a generic form of the antidepresant also known as Wellbutrin, and can be very effective in some people. However, some do become seriosuly troubled by side effects, which her doctor should have discussed with her in detail.
If the medication is not helping her depression, then she needs to be re-assessed, and a secondopinion is wise. If the diagnosis is not clear, she needs re-assessment and a reconsideration of what treatment, if any, is needed. If she is still depression, a different anidepressan may suit her far better, and of course if she is not depressed, she doesn't need such treatment at all.

1