Question
Posted by: Sensible | 2010/05/19

8 year-old suddenly scared of everything

Dear Prof
My eight-year old daughter is suddenly scared of sleeping alone, staying alone and darkness. This happened after a week-long visit at my sister''s place. When I ask my child why is she so scared, she says they were watching scary cartoons with a cat that follows people to the bathroom and kills them. But then she says she still wants to go back there for holidays. Do you think there is more to this?

This happens, and often one doesn;t find a reason. And it easily follows something so simple as watching a scary film, TV show or cartoon. Sounds like a dreadful cartoon to show a kid ( and my cat resents the plot line totally !) The bad choice in viewing is easily enough to explain this. Encourage her to go to sleep with a night light in her room for a while

3
Posted by: Jordan | 2010/05/19

Hi there. I have a 6 year old who never used to be afraid really, but has lately been spending alot of time with his cousins (nephew also 6, niece 10). He is now afraid of many things, but don''t stress, I think that kids talk about things and they like to scare on another. Its very exciting for them to talk about stuff they know nothing about and of cause they dramatise everything. It is best not to let them watch scary movies obviously, but if she is not with you, then I suppose it would be hard to monitor. Otherwise speak to the adults that are supervising and ask them not to expose the kids to something that is going to play on their minds. Good luck.

Reply to Jordan
Posted by: Boggy | 2010/05/19

It might be Tokoloshe!

Reply to Boggy