Posted by: Q Lombard | 2009-09-09

8 year old son very bad nightmares.

Please can you help or refer me to somebody that can.

My 8 year old son has been having extremely bad nightmares for the past couple of months.
He wakes up from his nightmare with his eyes open but he still sees and says strange things.
I have had to put him in ice cold water on a couple of occations to bring down his fever. It happened again last night and it is becoming worse, i am also frightened that he will hurt himself or somebdy else in the house because he has become violent and walks around the house with his eyes open but still in a trance.
He has told me afterwards that he sees things and has also seen me dying or being killed. It sometimes takes him ten to fifteen minutes to come out of his trance even if he is awake. We reside in johannesburg, if you can possible refer us to a specialist / Pshycologist / Pshyciatrist so we can get some help before something bad happens.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

I would suggest you discuss this with your pediatrician first. He will probably be able to help you, but he might want to refer you to a psychologist as well.