Question
Posted by: Helga | 2009-07-06

8 year old boy with eating problems

8 year old boy, from divorced family. Things noticed when with father. Does not want to eat, plays with food, excuses to eat food especialy if not take-aways like pizza. Asks " what is that?" . Excuses like: my tummy is sore, I feel nausias, will even make himself nausias at table to the point of througing up, but will be more that happy to eat sweets, chips ect. Child is under weight for his age. How do you know if there is a problem or if the child is just full of nonsense. Can not forsure say that he is getting proper cooked meal at mother and that she actually notices that he eats poorly.

Dear Helga
This is indeed a problem and I feel for the poor child. It would be good if you could talk to the mother to find out if the boy also exhibits this kind of behaviour when he is with her. If this is not possible, then I would suggest that you arrange to have the child assessed by a paediatric psychologist to pinpoint if his problem is emotional (which I would also suspect). I think this behaviour is a "cry for help" and that he needs help from someone who is trained in the field of child psychology. The psychologist will advise if the lad is indeed acting up because of psychological trauma. If not, then it would also be important to talk to the mother to find out what he is eating. If the mother allows him to eat junk food all the time (possibly as the route of least resistance), then the father must ensure that his son is given a balanced diet so that he can grow normally and not be stunted.
Good luck with this tricky situation.

1
Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-07-06

My kids come up with the same excuses too. I know not to listen and ensure they eat a good healthy balanced meal.

You can raise you concerns with his school and see what he gets for lunch. Maybe the stress of the divorce is just making him act out and he needs some time to recover from all the changes,

Reply to CTMOM