Posted by: Bubu | 2012-11-20

8 wks miscariage

Hi Doc,

my 1st miscarraige was in June @ 15wks due to cervical incompetence and my 2nd was last week @ 8wks, there was no hearbeat and had D& C. can u advise on what could be the problem and whether this constitute a reason to consult a fertility specialist?

thank you.

Dear Bubu
although you have now had 2 consecutive miscarriages the nature of the miscarriages differ significantly and therefore the causes of each may be very different, however i would strongly recommend that you visit a fertility specialist at this stage since there may be underlying factors such as auto immune disorder or genetic factors which may be extremely important in a subsequent pregnancy. Also the possibility of a underlying thyroid abnormality should also be excluded. If these miscarriages were your only pregnancies than further investigation of the uterine(womb) should be undertaken as well.
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim