Posted by: Bee | 2012-02-29

8% Morphology

Hi there Doctor,

I read that 8% is not so bad. Apparently the labs would like to see it at 15% or higher, but that Dr. Kruger (strict) himself said that anything above 5% is okay.

My hubby has a morphology of 8% and the rest of the paremeters are above average. We have been ttc for 11 months now. I am concerned that there might be another problem aswell.... in your opinion.... can it be only the 8% morphology that is the cause of ttc for so long?... or do you think that even with a 8%, that we should have been preggies by now?

Thank you very much for your opinion and time.

Dear Bee
Indeed there has been a revision of the bench mark for normal limits for sperm morphology and currently there is a proposal made to the WHO to accept 5% as normal. However this is not as yet universally accepted and more importantly the percentage of morphology should be viewed in combination with other parameters such as sperm concentration and motility factors as well as sperm DNA evaluation. It is quite possible that there is additional factor/s which may further confound the situation and it is always advisable to eliminate all contributing factors to the fertility problem. Even under the old criteria a morphology of 8% (provided that the sperm count and motility is good) is not entirely a major issue and therefore I would strongly urge you to have other factors looked at.
Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim