Posted by: Mom to be | 2009-01-13

8 months pregnant and panic attacks

am 8 months pregnant and I suffer from panic attacks - I was on an anti dpressant that helped with the panic but I had to stop because I fell pregnant. During this time I have been batteling to control the panic.

When I panic I am terrified - its like a burning sensation in my stomach and throat, I hyperventilate and I shake and I want to get sick and my stomach runs. I am so worried this is putting the baby in distress. Does it affect my baby?

My gynae was preparing me for the birth - she said that during labour I may have all of these panic symtoms but worse. She doesnt understand panic attacks though so she says she cant give me any advise other than just breathe.

I cant function properly when I panic and sometimes I pass out - I cant do this during labour but I cant afford a C - Section either.

What can I do to calm myself??

I would suggest that you see a psychiatrist. SOme medications are safe to use in pregnancy.

Posted by: Nikki | 2009-01-13

It is only during the first 3 months of pregnancy that anti depressants should not be taken.

If you had a condition such as epilepsy you would be forced to continue with your epilepsy medication for the entire 9 months of pregnancy.

If you have a panic attack. and cannot breathe, it may have the same effect as an epileptic fit, i.e. it may deprive the baby of essential oxygen so I would definitely go back onto the antidepressants immediately if I were in your situation.

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: tanya | 2009-01-13

hi there mom to be, i also get panic attacks, luckally not anymore, i use efexor, that is specific for pannic attacks, ask your gp, for something for the last stretch, there is stuff for pregnant woman, and with some of the pills you can use during pregnancy like efexor, please do not suffer anymore, it is horrible, i know. phone your gp

Reply to tanya