Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2013-01-25

8 month old baby

hi my baby girl has been struggling with constipation on and off from 5 months onwards, she was fine on formula and then out of the blue it just started. She now also get solids mostly veg and all fruits starting with a p, she gets a yogurt a day.

I try to limit cereal and avoid foods that can trigger constipation like banana, cooked carrots etc.

I add some flaxseed to her solids ones a day. She gets rooibos black with a tiny bit of brown sugar a day.

When it is severe I give her some laxette in a bottle formula.

We experience the same problem on 3 different formulas even on the Novalac IT which is for constipation babies.

ANY HELP from a natural point of view?

Expert ImageNatural health

hi Kasandra

some of the formulas has corn fructose syrup in. This can aggravate constipation. She also might have had a vaccination or cold or antibiotic that might have started the constipation. Some babies do very well on Goats milk (supplementing with a multi like Biostraph when using Goats milk is advisable). I would advice sugar at such a young age - makes the body acidic and acidity can cause constipation. I do not know the product laxette but would urge you to use a homoepathic bowel regulator to avoid any long term addiction and side effects. You can also add in a probiotic daily for the bowel movement.

Kind regards
Dr Debbie
www.drdebbie.co.za