Posted by: MUSKY | 2009-01-14

Hi Musky

Nothing at all. Rather encourage her to play games and to get involved in activities at school. If you facilitate her request for exercises, it reinforces the notion that she should should exercise to lose weight. I don't think that's especially healthy. Having said that, your question suggests that she has this complex about it (which is itself a rather disturbing fact, that someone so young is already concerned about body image, but that's another debate entirely), and I think it would be equally wrong to dismiss it. So it's a sensitive situation, but I think the best you can do is to encourage her to play. At the age of 7, that's what it's all about. So perhaps encourage her participation in school activities, playing with friends, and make every possible exercise activity with her friends fun. And this is not to help her lose weight, but to play and have fun. The focus is different, and then the weight will take care of itself. She has this chance to start off on a life of being active and enjoying it, which is a great opportunity.

Lastly, be mindful that you're responsible for a great deal of her diet, and that's something you can control. Again, I wouldn't become obsessive about her eating (you send a bad message this way), but you can make healthy choices for yourself, and for her, and help her that way.

Posted by: Lily | 2009-01-20

But she is 7!! Aren' t all little girls chubby? If she is really overweight, then it' s a good idea to increase her cardio exercise, as mentioned, and watch what she eats. But if she is a normal chubby little girl, surely it' s best to make sure she' s healthy and confident. The weight will sort itself out when she hits puberty.

Reply to Lily
Posted by: Lanie6713 | 2009-01-16

I' m a personal trainer and often see young children under the age of 16 doing weight lifting and intense excerises. This is so wrong as this can stunt growth.
For young children the best remedy would be to do as much cardiovascular exercises as possible. Walking,running, cycling and swimming is obviously the easiest and most convenient. If you lose weight (fat) you will in the end start losing fat around your tummy. If you feel that cardio excerises aren' t enough, consult a dietician as certain food groups do tend to make you pick up weight around the midsection. Hope this helps.

Reply to Lanie6713