Posted by: Mommy | 2011-06-14

7 yo don''t sleep enough

Hi, my daughter is 7 but never could fall asleep before at least 10. She can easily go past 12! She is always calling us wanting food and something to drink etc. She is an extremely busy kid. She sleeps about 7 to 8 hours a night but more during the week-end. She does not mind waking up at 7:30 week days, but I feel that the little sleep she gets might affect her learning and concentration. She is in grade 3 and really struggle with her school work. She is rather far behind the other kids her age. (We live in NZ where they go to grade 1 at 5.) I am very worried. If we leave her when she calls for us, she cries and gets really load. I want to leave her be but hubby can''t. She needs more sleep, but how can we help her? Thanks for your time. :)

Expert ImageSleep Expert

I would suggest you discuss this with your pediatrician. What you describe sounds like she is taking advantage to get attention, and I think you will need personalized help.