Posted by: Debbie | 2009-07-31

7-year old not adjusting

Hi there. I' m a bit worried about my 7-year old. We relocated from JHB to DBN on the 30th of June. Needless to say she had to start with a new school in the middle of the year. My initial thoughts were that she' s happy. But her school work has deteriorated somewhat. Yesterday she didn' t want to school. This morning she called me in tears saying she' s nauseous and has stomach ache and that I have to come fetch her immediately. I know my child and I know something' s wrong. How do we get her to open up? Drawing? Playing? Talking? She saw an education pshycologist earlier this year who gave us the low-down and for a while things went really well. I think the reolcation might have messed her around a bit. Please just give me some information / links or anything that I could use to help ease her down.

This is still the first month after a major disruption in her life, not only going to a new school, but leaving her old school, neighbourhood, home and friends. Its not surprising that she feels upset, maybe in ways she can't even put into words. Things should settle down before oong, with support and encouragement, and if not, seeing a child psychologist could be helpful, for assessment and more specific advice.
EXCELLENT advice from out regulars, too

Posted by: Debbie | 2009-07-31

Thank you so much for the tips and advice. Sometimes one just needs affirmation. I will keep an eye, encourage and be patient. It' s just comforting to know that it' s normal. Once again, thanks!

Reply to Debbie
Posted by: Maria | 2009-07-31

I think you should give her time, moving schools and cities are a big deal for kids. I would talk to her teacher first to find out if there is a specific problem at school. You can assist her in making friends by inviting a classmate over to play and enrolling her in after school activities. There are excellent kid' s books in the library about moving to a new school, making friends, bullying etc. Read some of them with her and see if she relates to any of the problems described. Then help her come up with solutions. Other than that just spend time with her and love her.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-07-31

She is in a new school, new teacher, new kids. Her work would decline in the beginning,

My daughter (10) went to go live with my mom. So she had a new town, new school, new teacher, new friends and NO mommy or brothers so she was VERY alone. She also had sore tummies and tried everything not to go to school. She would actually throw up she was " scared" .

Jan, Feb, March was tough on her, Now her school work is up, she has friends and all is well. I think she just needs lots of love and encourage and make a friend. Ask the teacher to put her with another child (same desk) with the same kind of personality and see if they make friends. That might help her.

I hope things get better for her. I know its hard to see your child go through that.

Reply to CTMOM