Posted by: Cta Lady | 2009-01-03

7 Year GSD Vomiting/Drinking A lot

Hi Our 7 Year old GSD has been vomiting for 2 days now and has diarhoeia as well. He did not eat last night and was very restless. He did drink a lot of water. I gave him a smalll bowl of Ultra dog food with his usual share of a tin of Husky (between 5 dogs) which he refused. He vomited on and off through the day and we noticed he drinks a heck of a lot of water. He di not eat again tonight and seems listless.

What should we do? Our Vet only opens on Monday except in emergencies. Would he qualifiy as suchor are there some hoem remdies I could try.

Cta Lady

I think you are dealing with an emergency. I hope you have been to your vet.

Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-01-04

Hi Chill

Sorry about the misspeliing of the CTa lady I am actually the Cat Lady. The GSD is much better, has eaten food and is chirpier but one of my ginger cats vomited blood in our passage this morning so I rushed down after phoning the emergency number and he was diganosed with biliary or babiosis. Because he was such a vivid ginger cat and also because I am still sukkeling with food poisoning from Christmas Day I hadn' t been as vigilant as normal and the vet phoned about an hour ago and said he hadn' t made it. I didn' t think he would as he seemed to have little fits.

He is being cremated tomorrow.

PS I do know about that CapeTown Cliinic even though I live in the Garden Route as I sent a cat there with a cancerous noe that had been treated here - I flew her down - and my son-in-law fetched her but they could not do anything for her anymore she she was flown back and I had her put down when it became necessary.

Thanks for your input. I will remember the next time anyone is off their food.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-03

Difficult to say what the problem could be, it might just be a gastric upset, or it might equally be something that needs attention. If your vet is open tomorrow, why not pop in? I know there' s a surcharge, but better safe than sorry, and they will not be upset if it turns out to be a false alarm!

It' s a good sign that the dog is drinking - at least you don' t have to worry about dehydration. It will not harm him not to eat for a few days. You may like to creat a bit of an electrolyte solution out of his drinking water - for every litre or so of water, add a couple of tablespoons of sugar, and about a half a teaspoon of salt - this will help him retain fluids. Don' t be tempted to add more salt, too much is not a good thing.

Don' t be nervous about ' bothering'  the vet - no vet worth his salt will blame you, it' s to your credit that you care enough for your dog not to take any risks.

If you get stuck, or if the dog' s condition worsens, make a note that the CAMC runs an after-hours emergency clinic - look on their website at - they are in Rosmead Avenue, Claremont - diagonally opposite the Spar (near Kentucky) - they' re absolutely excellent (if a bit expensive!), and they' re open all night every night and throughout the weekend. (I' m assuming that CTa lady means Cape Town!)

Reply to Chill