Question
Posted by: lina | 2008/08/06

7 year do not eat

My 7 year old grandson do not eat. He refuse vegies, meat, about any thing acept bread. He eat take aways, sweats, biscutes. He will stay without food for days till he get what he want (like). I did give him ion and tonic , but it did not work, the docter say he will eat when hungry. I am concerned he is very skinny but have lots of energy and refuse to sleap during the day and go to bed late at night(by force). Must I force him to eat healthy food. I try to prepare his food as atractive and tasty as possible. Or must I try to reward him if he eat his food with sweats, this is the last option I want to take. Please help I am desperate and the docters do not help I eveN took him to psychiatrist , no results.

Dear Lina
I can imagine that you must be so worried about your 7-year-old grandson who does not want to eat normal foods. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you and your grandson through this difficult period. I do think that he is using food as a 'weapon' to get his own way and that you should sit him down and explain that you are not going to give him any sweets, biscuits or junk food as this will "rot his teeth" and that from now on you expect him to behave like a sensible person and to eat the food that you prepare. He may resist, but this is one time when you need to be stronger than he is. Don't give in and don't bribe him either - that gives him even more power to dictate your life.
Hang in there