Posted by: Werrie | 2008-12-08

7 weeks pregnant with twins

Please could you let me know if there is thruth in it, my wife (second pregnancy) who is 38 years old is now 7 weeks pregnant, our first scan indicated that there' s twins, our gynae, said 8 out of 10 pregnant have this fairly common condition, and miscarraiges are often experienced at or after 8 weeks, where either both or one fetus is miscarraiged, we have no history in any of the family with twins, and i am almost in a state of shock when we recently learned my wife is carrying twins, i would dealry like to hear from you....please.

You do not need a family history to have twins. Your doctor is right that there is a higher risk of miscarriage and that twin pregnancies have more complications. Your wife would thus need careful monitoring.

Posted by: Star | 2008-12-09

Twin pregnancies are a a bit more high risk. The doc either saw something and are not telling you the truth or he doesn' t know what he is doing. As for the twins in the family, there doesn' t need to be any. The female determines the quantity and the male the sex. In the case of identical twins, the females side of the family could play a role. I have twin girls, the first in both families. They look the same but are not identical.

If the doc mentioned one might miscarry, I would assume that it is not identical twins, one sack. Take is easy and let her take it easy for the first couple of weeks, other wise, everything should run like a normal pregnancy.

Twins are not as bad as everyone make them out to be, fun actually.

Reply to Star
Posted by: Meg | 2008-12-08

Sorry for butting in but i just want to give my 2cents worth. Woman after 30 are more prone to getting pregnant with twince... mostly because the release more then one egg sometimes. So that can happen if there are no history of twins. As for the doc telling you that your wife will most probably lose one or both babies....... i don' t think that it was very profesional of him to do so... it' s really not to say. i hear of lots of moms in their 30ties having their twince and i think he is scaring you guys for what reason i don' t know.

Reply to Meg