Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/06/03

7 weeks pregnant. Bad cold (again)! Please help!

Dear Doc

I am 7 weeks pregnant. I see my gynae for my 1st appointment next week (at 8 weeks). I have a very bad cold, after having a bad cold at 4 weeks pregnant as well! Is this normal - does a pregnancy weaken your immune system?

I am exceptionally tired and have very little energy, and have been so for the last 2-3 weeks. I am also very nausious most of the time. Could it perhaps be that my vitamin supplements are making me nausious? I am taking Omega 3, Calcium magnesiium, iron folic acid and vitamin C.

Please advise - I feel terrible!

Pregnancy does weaken the immune system a bit. The tiredness is normal. Iron may be making you nauseous, so stop this for a while. Nausea in early pregnancy is common though.

2

Posted by: Racoon | 2010/06/03

The tiredness is due to the bean doing his/her job! no getting round that, I''m afraid. The multivitamins can also make one more nauseous. Try taking only your folic acid, and leave the others out. In both my past two pregnancies my gynae told me to stop all multivits, including folic acid, due to the nausea and vomiting, but you need to check that with your gynae next week before you stop yours.

best of luck, and rest as much as you can! you''ll get some energy back in a few weeks time.

Reply to Racoon