Posted by: sad | 2012-09-28

7 weeks miserable

Hello Doc,

I am 7 weeks along with a planned first pregnancy. I was so happy and excited when we first found out but over the past week I have been feeling worse and worse, not only physically but emotionally too. I have nausea all day, back pain and terrible headaches. This past weekend I have been bursting into tears for no reason and don''''t want to do anything but sleep. I have never been depressed, down certainly, but this is worse than anything I have ever experienced.

Is this normal? And what can I do about it? My first appointment with my gynae is not for another three weeks.

Mood swings, as well as the physical symptoms you describe are quite normal in pregnancy. They are due to changes in hormones. Try taking Panado for the headaches and back pain and do calming things like meditation and yoga.

Posted by: Nini | 2012-10-01

Please join us on the Pregnancy Forum.

But just to put your mind at ease, what you''ve explained sounds like typical First Trimester symptoms! You must remember that your poor body and mind is going through some major physical and emotional changes, and your hormones are completely out of whack at the moment, so what you are feeling is normal.

Rest assured that it does get better as the weeks pass. If you want to sleep then that is what you should do. Sleep is good! And being so tired in the first few weeks is 100% normal.

Your emotions will be all over the place, but I cannot say that this will get better, haha. You will learn to control your moods and emotions better, but pregnancy unfortunatley comes with it''s ups and down. However, the second trimester will be must better! Your energy levels kick in again, your hormones start to stabilise a little more, and the morning sickness should subside. So just hang in there.

I was always told that the sicker you are, the healthier the pregnancy!

Reply to Nini
Posted by: Tanya | 2012-09-28

I think you should post this query on Parenting or Pregnancy Corner. All the Mommies on these forums are going through the same thing or have recently experienced what you are at the moment.

I feel for you but cannot advise as my children have long flown the nest and I cant really remember going through all this.

Good luck and keep smiling. It will get better I''m sure.

Reply to Tanya