Posted by: liezle | 2010-06-23

7 month old chronic blocked nose

Dear Dr,
my son of 7 months has had a chronic blocked nose since he was 3 months old. i have tried everything under the sun!!. i took him to an ENT specialist last week who told me that my son''''s nose is completely closed up from using to many nasal decongesteds. he has now done the following: put him on Prelone 5ml for 7 days, given me 1x budaflem nasal spray each morning and texa syrup 1.5ml in the evenings. He told me i must under so circumstances use any type of nasal spray. Does this sound right to you? he''''s nose where very runny the entire weekend...when will the medicine kick in? the ENT told me if there is isnt a remarkable diffrence in his nose in two weeks, he will take X-rays....

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Liezle

Overuse of nasal decongestants create a problem in the nose of actually blocking the nose, instead of opening the nasal passageway. It is for this reason that the use of these drops and sprays are limited, as after about five days of use, they cause the opposite effect. (instead of opening the nose, it will in actual fact block the nose. ) These drops work on the basis of reducing bloodsupply to the nose, but after a few days the body reacts in a rebound way, doing the opposite of what you have intended. It is very important that the effect is turned around, as it may cause permanent damage to the lining of the nose if you continue its use. The medication you have been given has the effect of reducing swelling and creating an open nasal airway, but this will take time. The runny nose may be anything from a viral infection, to the effects of the previous medication working out, but it is best to do as your ENT has advised, in order to avoid a long term problem. Your ENT has made the correct management suggestion, as it is possible that two weeks is all you will need to turn thew problem around.