Posted by: Carrinna Buthelezi | 2009-07-30

7 1/2 months pregnant and Chronic Post Nasal Drip

I am 71/2 mths pregnant, have had 7 nose ops(skew spetums etc) and am suffering badly from a post nasal drip specifically at night. It is causing me many restless nights and an immensly painful throat where swallowing is painful, and i wake up all the time.

Please advise what i can take or use to relieve this problem, but also that would be safe for use in pregnancy!!

I am desperate!!!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Carrinna

If you have had 7 sinus operations it means that you have serious sinus pathology and need to be assessed to see what the actual problem is. It could be due to persistent disease that was never addressed or the fact that you now have disease because of all the surgery having resulted in an abnormal nasal cavity. There are important structures that must be preserved during surgery and that filtrate and humidify the air that you breathe in, if these have been removed it might be the cause of your problem.

You also might have nasal polyposis which sometimes require multiple procedures and the treatment for this will be a combination of a antibiotic and steroid depending on the advice of your gynaecologist.

During pregnancy, nasal symptoms do get worse due to the stimulation of hormonal receptors in the nose. Very little can be done for this.

I would advise you see an ENT who specializes in sinus surgery for an expert opinion on your management.