Question
Posted by: Lori | 2010/02/02

6Yr old wakes up at night and has dreams

My 6 yr old tends to wake up during the night. In the past 2 weeks, she has been talking in her sleep and has had nightmares as she was crying in her sleep. She is a happy and lively child. I am wondering if this could be a result of her watching cartoons. I have always restricted her viewing of cartoons, especially stuff like Ben10. Since December she has been watching a lot of them. Her dad has also been allowing her to watch.

Two weeks ago her teacher told me that she looked spaced out in class. She is a very talkative and energetic girl. When I spoke to her about this, she told em that she was tired and had no energy and the class was warm and she was falling asleep. She does tend to get bored easily as well. This weekend she told her violin teacher that he was boring her and wanted to learn how to play music.

Doc, I can' t see what else could be troubling her. I have to say she still sleeps in our room. She has her own bed though. But we find that towards the morning she wants to sleep between us. We had a break in last year Feb around 3am. We heard the robbers in our house. My daughter never got up even when the alarm went off. She is aware of what happened though. She was sleeping in our room at the time as we had just started doing renovations in her room. Since then we preferred her being with us out of fear for her safety. We have only one child and we can' t have another, so I guess we are over protective.

Please doc, advise. She has been sucking her thumb since 3 mths. She says it just feels good and does it especially when she is tired.

I hope other parents among our readers can make some helpful suggestions here.
Some kids do seem to be more worried by cartoons or other TV programming than others. Its usually not a cause of serious problems.
Am I understanding here - she sometimes cries WHILE asleep ? ( this may be related to dreams, not necessarily nightmares ) ; sometimes talks in her sleep ( much more common than most folks imagine ) and also at times wakes in the night.
How is she when she wakes ? Is she calm and settles back to sleep ? Or aroused and anxious and takes a time to settle ?
The issue at school could be stuffiness and some boring teachers. Thumb-sucking is common and a form of self-comforting.
Remember that sensitive kids tend to respond to your anxiety, and to reflect it back to you. SO do remain as calm as you can about this.
At school, presumably, even if at the same school, she is now in a new class since returning in January ?
It will probably settle down soon. If not, a child shrink would be pleased to assess her pleasantly and advise if it seems wise to do anything more about it

1