Question
Posted by: Lin | 2010-09-27

6yr old (Prev post 372 12/7/10)

I am not sure if you can go back to my prev posting, but I would like to advise that I have not seen any improvement with my child''s behaviour. The other day when my youngest was looking for his Dad, she told him that he was dead and then she said that she has stabbed him. When she is told to go to the naughty corner she screams and cries so loud it sounds like she is being murdered. The other day I was explaining to her what I expected from her and when her Dad asked her what I said she couldn''t tell us. She was not listening at all to what I was saying.

Sounds awfully alarming, Lin. It's actually hard for me to go back and read specific previous postings, and the numberings don't show in the section within which I work. What you now describe sounds increasingly disturbed ( claiming to have stabbed her father dead ) as well as disturbing. Any chance of taking her to see a child psychologist for assessment ?
The noise when taken to a naughty corner isn't unusual and usually ceases if it fails to produce results desirable to the child. Sometimes, for instance, you might give in for fear of what the neighbours might think. It might not be that she wasn't listening to what you said, but that she didn't want to acknowledge it to her dad.
Major policy declarations like that are best made
when you are both present, so such explanations are not needed - and one might, rather, after explaining a principal or rule to her, ask her to repeat it or explain it to you both, to show that she understood it.

1