Posted by: Sensible | 2009-01-12

6yr old daughter with urethra problems

Dear Doc
I'  m highly stressed as my six year old daughter started wetting herself in December last year, but she is does not wet the bed at night. The whole thing started in April last year when I noticed blood on her panties at bath time at night. I quickly went to the police station fearing the worst. The bleeding continued and I had to change her panties. I then took her to the hospital where she was examined and taken to the theatre by two doctors. Afterwards they told me that it doesn'  t appear to be sexual assault as the vaginal passage was not interefed with but they said the hymen was not there. They also said some kids are born without a hymen. They, however, said her urethra had been traumatised but could not tell how. She was fine and excelled at school as usual but in Dec she started "  leaking"  urine to panties and wetting herself during the day, and she had to wear pads every single day, which get full with urnine after about three hours. In Dec I took her to a paeditrician who referred me to a specialist urologist who I visited just yesterday (8 Jan). He also cannot seem to find the cause of the damage to the urethra but gave me a prescription to stop the urine overflow. He said I should bring her after a month. I'  m just worried because she is starting a new school next Wed and this problem will embarass her. She is such a clever child and always a leader of the pack. Please give me any suggestions on what to do. Do you think sexually abused children can continue achieving the top grades at school after the abuse?

Try also asking this question of Cyberdoc and our gynae. Indeed some children are born without a noticeable hymen, but the real question is surely why she was bleeding at all. There are no rules about children who have been sexually abused, some do indeed cope well. Maybe it would be useful for her to see a good child psychiatrist or child Psychologist for a further assessment