Question
Posted by: Shadow' s Mom | 2008/08/28

6mth old puppy vomitting once a day!

HI there Cybervet,

My little " optel brakkie"  (the love of my life!!) is around 6 months old, a small dog, weighing at 6.5kg. She has not been fixed as yet and is a very active dog.

Yesterday morning around 6am she jumped out of bed a vomited and had a runny stomach but very little of both  like just blotches of both.... Yesterday the rest fo the day she was 100% fine and normal and had a normal pooh later. not vomiting again either (i was at home and could watch her) She was back to her old cazy dog antics and happy...

This morning around 6am the same thing happend..... Now she is fine again.... WHat could this be?

She steals cat food pellets but eats her own food aswell - she free feeds and drinks lots of water. We feed her Purina One Puppy. We never feed her potato onion grapes chocolate or garlic. she does get rice chicken and meat and veg and the odd orange slice as she goes boinkers over it (none for more that a week though) But we do not feed her anything we would not eat ourselves.

What could be the problem - is she sick? Should i take her to te vet or is it just something she ate you think? And it will pass?

Please tell me what you think?

I' m worried that she might have that dreaded dog desease Parvo - and i know it is leathal! She has never been sick before this.

Bella

Dear Bella

You will know if your dogs got Parvo, half dead and vomit and blood everywhere. Vaccinations up to date?

Worm her, put her on protexin for 4 weeks and dont let her eat the cats food. She should be fine.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/29

If you were going to ask, should you still get the protexin: I don' t think I' d bother, frankly!

Can' t you feed your cats somewhere the dog can' t reach?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Shadow' s mom | 2008/08/29

Hi there  Thanks guys...

Soorrrrrrry i typed this wrong i think....

She steals cat food pellets every now and again - she does not eat the cat food as a meal  she is just naught and normally does it when i feed the kitties  she' l steal a mouth full of kibble and run outside and eat them... She (like my 2 cats) ALWAYS have food available.... So she' s not hungry just teasing me - as i will stomp my feet and say no  so i think she teases me! She does not eat bowls of cat food thank goodness  wouldn' t want her to start maaauiwing....

Re the chicken veg and rice... i only give her like 3 table spoons when we make for dinner for ouselves  she does not get that everyday...

This morning she was fine and nothing happend so i guess you are right she must have eaten too much! Or eaten somehting in the garden that upset her stomach...

I will go get the Pro-Kolin Protexin today - i have used it for my cats before and never thought of using it for the pup....

THANKS for your help!

Bella

Vacinations are up to date....

She did not do it his morning and she seems fine... Should i still

Reply to Shadow&#39 s mom
Posted by: Chil | 2008/08/28

She certainly doesn' t sound sick to me - but what are you doing, feeding her puppy food AND rice, chicken and meat and vegs? And catfood?

She ONLY needs the puppy food - anything you add to this will actually unbalance her diet. Of course you' ll give her some treats now and then, but it sounds like you' re overfeeding her.

Frankly I wouldn' t worry if she' s puked a little bit a whole day apart - her general behaviour and appearance and energy levels certainly don' t match those of a sick dog!

Reply to Chil