Question
Posted by: JP | 2010/04/12

6 WEEKS PREG - SPOTTING

hi , i am going in to my 7th week according to my last period. i had my check up last week and everything was fine, going for the heartbeat next week. however last night i started i cant say a period, but it was brown stuff and in the urine as well as discharge. had a little bit of period pain and this morning it continued but getting better. very light, like the last day of my normal period, and brown. can you still have a normal preg with this happening?

It sounds like a threatened miscarriage. More than 80% will go on normally, but do phone your doctor about it.

5

Posted by: TJ | 2010/04/13

thanks Racoon, i pray so too! it is getting lighter but if not going away by tomorrow then i will see my gynae. this is my 2nd preg, or should i say 3rd, first was 9 years ago and nothing abnormal happened, a year ago i had the quantitative tests every second day for a week but it wasnt growing. this time i did my quantitative then saw the gynae and he was happy with what he saw so never did another one but did say if the spotting or brown discharge doesnt end then i must see him before next week.

Reply to TJ
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/04/13

My gynae is very wary of any spotting in the first few weeks and immediately orders hCG tests 2 days apart to see if its rising (indicating an ongoing pregnancy) or declining (indicating a miscarriage). I have had 2 successful pregnancies, but also 2 early miscarriages - for me finding out sooner rather that later what the situation is is much better. So I would suggest the serial hCG tests. I pray that everything is fine with your bean! sound encouraging that its brown spotting!!

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: JP | 2010/04/13

thanks! i did phone the gynae yest, he didnt sound too worried, just said its not normal but not abnormal and as long as it is brown it might be old blood. but he will check it out next week when i see him, but if things get worse then i can see him before that. I just needed to hear from someone who had maybe had this exp and still had a normal healthy pregnancy, so thanks for that!

Reply to JP
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/04/13

Hi JP

Yes, you can. I have been a mom 3 times and one of my pregnancies was like that. It will go away but to be on the safe side , anything that bothers you , go see your gyae or give him/her a phone call but best to go see him. Its still very early in the pregnancy so you need to take it easy. Do not lift heavy things or move things around. When you feel tired , rest. Sleep if you feel like it.-if you can. make sure you are taking your vitamins as the gyae prescribed etc its good for you &  baby. Nature will take from the mom what it needs to grow the new life inside of you so make sure you have your dairy , cheese , milk, yoghurt for strong bones &  teeth -calcium as baby will take that form your body if you dont have enough. listen to your body and rest. See the gyae would be my answer even if it is for your own peace of mind. Good Luck

Reply to Momof3