Question
Posted by: Lin | 2011/12/05

6 weeks before baby comes - 6 year old son

My son turns 6 next week. My daughter will be born mid January next year.
I''ve noticed that he has a kind of a melt-down daily all of a sudden. It happens only once a day and I was wondering if it can be due to anxiety regarding the birth.
He talks alot about her and is really excited to meet her, but surely he must be a little anxious as well. Could this cause the melt downs? It''s been going on for about 2 weeks now - oh and I had a labour scare about the same time the melt downs started.
I''ve explained his part in his sister and our lives after she arrives. Have showed him some kiddies books - " when mommy brings home baby" , ect. made him part of the experience (he goes to all the sonars). We''ve let him choose her clothes, bed, blankets, ect.
Can I give him something like Rescue Remedy to calm him down? What else can I do?
Thanks for your time Prof!

SOunds like you're generally handling things well. I wonder what you mean about "melt-down" ? Apparently he gets anxious and agitated sometimes ? If its only around once a day, what else happens around or before that time ?
Kids do, at various ages, have mixed feelings about the approach of a new sib and rival ; but he might also be anxious about your well-being, as the sister is still theoretical, and you are a current and vital part of his life.
I suspect talking things over calmly with him would be more useful than rescue remedy.

1