Question
Posted by: Leila | 2010/08/18

6 week pregnant &  fasting

I just found ot last week that I am pregnant. I am in my 6th week now and my gynae appointment is only next week. I am muslim and have been fasting. Is it ok to fast? I haven''t experienced any nausea, and take DS24 in the morning. I eat a light breakfast and a healthy supper. I felt a bit light headed yesterday and did not fast. Am fasting again today.

No it is not good to fast while you are pregnant. The long period without food or fluids is bad for the baby. It can affect growth and nutrient supply to the baby.You are allowed not to fast during pregnancy or illness and this exception is obviously made for a reason.

7

Posted by: Leila | 2010/08/18

Thank you for all the advice! I am very well aware that Islam excuses pregnant women from fasting, I just wanted to knw what effects there are on baby should I conitue with my fast. Besides feeling tired, there (hopefully!) isn''t any other side effects. I actually do have high blood sugar that I control through a low GI eating plan, so fasting helps with that.

Thanks MU - I will ask my doc about the ketons as well. I do fear gestational diabetes! Thanks again.

Reply to Leila
Posted by: Muslim Mom | 2010/08/18

I think its really not safe in your first trimester. You dont want to take any chances. I fasted during my last trimester,(I missed only 2) but I kept monitoring baby''s movement.
Check with your gynae first. Dont risk anything.

Reply to Muslim Mom
Posted by: ME | 2010/08/18

Fasting and baby''s health

Islam excuses women from fasting, if they are in an advance stage of pregnancy, where fasting could be harmful for a mother and a baby. Islam also excludes those women from fasting who are breastfeeding and those who are menstruating. When a baby is growing inside the womb, she is totally dependant on its mother for necessary proteins, nutrition and vitamins. It is suggested that women should not fast during their first and third trimester. They could fast during their second trimester if their obstetricians grant permission.

Effects of fasting during pregnancy

There can be several short term or long term effects of fasting during pregnancy. Many women choose to fast even if they are pregnant. Fasting during pregnancy could increase a woman''s risk for premature birth. Mothers who experience extreme nausea and vomiting during first trimester should not consider fasting. Practicing waterless fast can have adverse effects on your baby.

Pregnant women or nursing mothers need constant supply of essential nutrition, vitamins, proteins, folic acid, and minerals. They need to keep track of their nutrition intake for the wellbeing of themselves and their babies. Fasting may effect the development of the foetus. Fasting in pregnancy carries certain risks for the unborn baby such as abnormal breathing movements, low birth weight, and reduced gestational period. may suffer from dehydration.

Reply to ME
Posted by: Purple | 2010/08/18

No religion requires fasting while you are pregnant.
I know its Ramadaan at the moment and you aren''t exactly able to announce your pregnancy at this time either, but as you dont fast when mestruating either (or is that personal choice?) nobody should really question you.

Your baby is doing its main developing and growing now and fasting at this point is dangerous for your baby and could cause physical abnormalities if it is not getting the nutrients it needs.
Though I''m sure breakfast and supper would have stopped this happeneing.
However, your blood sugar levels drop in the day and that is why you are feeling light headed. This will just get worse.
Also, when the nausea starts at around 6 or 7 weeks, you will suffer really badly if your aren''t eating.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: MU | 2010/08/18

Hi i am fasting also and im 14wks already my doc has advised that i dont fast everyday im past my first trimester so its okay with your case right now you need to eat as the foetus is developing and when your body does not have enough food you will get dehydated and there will be a loss of Ketons rather not fast till you speak to your doc JUST SOME ADVISE

Reply to MU

no no no!!! stop fasting immediately!!!