Posted by: Debs | 2008-11-25

5yr old started blinking uncontrollably

My daughter has started blinking uncontrollably. She does not appear to be aware of doing so and says her eyes are not sore or itchy. This does correspond with an increase in worries and anxieties for example she refuses to get into a lift in case it breaks down! There has been no added stress in the home that I am aware of. She is also quite pale and lethargic. Any ideas? I did send her for a barrage of tests in June because of persistent stomach aches - these came back totally clear.

Dear Debs
You are a very perceptive mom - I agree with you, something is not quite right and she does have symptoms of anxiety. This is not necessarily caused by a physical problem, but could be due to imbalances of the brain neurotransmitters. Please let her see a child psycologist or child psychiatrist for an evaluation - children do not have the same symptoms as adults when depressed or anxious but may often present with physical problems like tummy ache, headaches or developing nailbiting or other habits. If she is very pale she may need some blood tests to exclude anemia too. Talk to your Gp or pediatrician to get a referral to a specialist for evaluation.

Posted by: Sheri | 2008-11-26

My daughter did this at the age of 5 as well. It stopped on it' s own. I think it lasted a few months.

Reply to Sheri

My boy also started at that age but fortunately it stopped at age 8, just don' t make her attend on it as this my cause more stress.