Question
Posted by: ST | 2011/02/21

5year old

I have a 5year old that will not eat any veggies and certain meats. it worries me as she litterally lives on Vienna''s and two minute noodles. for lunch i pack in a vienna, tuck biscutes, a cheese wedge and maybe a youghurt. at night she wants two minute noodles. every now and then she will have an egg. ALSO she refuses to eat breakfast? what can I do to ensure she gets her nutrients. can you recommend a vitamin that will cover all she needs. She is not at all underweight and is very active.

Dear ST
Your lassie does seem to eat a rather unbalanced diet. Children can, however, understand quite a lot of complex concepts, so I think you should sit down with her and discuss her eating habits. Tell her that if she wants to grow up to be healthy, clever and beautiful then she is going to have to start eating a balanced diet and that such a diet does not only consist of Viennas, biscuits and two minute noodles. Tell her that such foods are not healthy and that to grow she needs to have milk, yoghurt, proper cheese, eggs, fruit, vegetables and other kinds of meat, fish and wholegrains. Then banish all these high-fat, highly processed foods from the house and serve her healthy foods. She may try to get her own way, but if she sees that you are firm, but kind and if you appeal to her understanding of how her body works, then I do believe that most children, even young ones can get the message that they need to eat a balanced diet. Don't go the pill route because this will never get her to eat properly and is just a quick fix, not a permanent solution.
Be firm and kind and you as the adult in this situation should be able to guide her towards normal, balanced eating.

1

Dear ST