Question
Posted by: confused | 2012/06/19

5HTP vs Alzam vs Aropax

Please can you give me some assistance.

Currently I take .25mg Alzam when I feel the onset of an anxiety attack (which due to be home alone and sick with flu is happening daily) So I am taking total of 0.75mg daily sometimes. Then at night I take the last 0.25mg alzam and half a zolnox tab to sleep cos I feel anxious and then get nauseous. I am taking Emetrol for nausea as well which they say has no drug interactions.
My doctor prescribed Aropax for anxiety but I am nervous to start taking right now because I believe it can cause nausea and I am trying to get the nausea under control.
A friend who is a qualified nutritionalist said I should take 5HTP but I have read reports from people who experienced increased anxiety attacks after taking this?
Which is the best? At the moment I am comfortable with the Alzam as a shortterm relief but have heard it can be addictive and also I dont want to just manage the symptoms I want to control the actual anxiety.
Pls can you advise asap

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi C

For short-term relief the Alzam will be, in my opinion, more effective and faster acting.

Over the long term switching to Aropax will be the better option though - it may however take a few weeks to reach its potential. One option would be a combination of low dose Alzam (i.e. 0.25-0.5 mg/day) and the Aropax for 2-3 weeks.

All the best!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/06/21

Hi C

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist