Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/06/25

5HIAA test diet and feedback

Hello Dr Bets,
I saw the endocrinologist/internist and he told me that the following is causing my symptoms: 1) I have pseudohypoparathyroidism 2) Osteomalacia (this is causing the pain since it is causing spasms in my muscles and rieckets in my bones) 3) A connective tissue disorder, but he is not yet sure wich one of the five 4) Vertigo 5) Something to do with my appendix, I dont know if it is a bug or what, but he said that he think I have that (sorry I cant remember the name) and that he is testing for it. He said that if the test is positive, then they will remove my appendix, cause that thing is 95% of the time in the appendix. If removing my appendix does not take my symptoms away then they will have to go look for it somewhere else in my body. I am still waiting for that test result and also he asked me to do a 5HIAA urine test. I saw the doctor on the 13th and could not start the diet till today since I was writing a very big exam and was not really prepared to do that without taking paracetimol (because the pain makes me tired). So I am back home now from the exam and starting the diet. On the list of things not to take, they have tea and coffee. Does that mean that I am not allowed to take rooibos either? I tried to look on the web to see if they maybe only meant caffine and saw that some labs have different things. On the lancet list they dont have citrus or tomato only pineapple... is that a mistake on my printout or is it ok for me to have citrus and tomato since it is not on the lancet list? I only saw this now and already had orrange juice, is that ok or must I start over? The doctor told me that he will have me better by December and I must just hang in there till then. So that is great news :-) Thanks for all your help Dr Bets, I really appreciate it!! Ruby

Dear Ruby
You can take rooibos as it does not contain caffeien like tea and coffee. If your test is at Lancet and it is not on the disallowed list you probably can take citrus - usually grapefruit is excluded in these kind of tests. Try not to drink any sour juices as this may influence the calcium levels. You must please keep me informed of your progress - this is also a learning process for me!