Question
Posted by: Susan | 2011-01-28

55km walk

Hi, last year I did a 25km walk and aside from some cramping didn''t feel to bad. This year I would love to do a 55km walk, it is happenning end March, only thing is that I haven''t been keeping up with my training. In order to be comfortable to do a 55km walk how many km''s should I look at covering daily or weekly between now and then. I am a 42 year old woman.
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Susan

Hi Susan

I think that walking is an activity where you can make a very big ONCE-OFF (important emphasis) jump in activity and get away with it. Running is different, and someone who is running 56km (like Two Oceans in APril) has to be putting in weekly distances of about 70km with a longest run of around 40 km. But for walking, as long as you are training consistently, it's doable.

So, with 5 weeks to go, you need to be walking four or five times a week, at least an hour, with a long walk once a week, of about 90 minutes NOW. That needs to build so that it's 3 to 4 hours by the second week of March. It's a tough ask - having dropped off training, you're getting up to a really high level very quickly, and that means the risk of overdoing it is large. I'd be very careful about this if I were you.

But to answer, it's 4 or 5 days a week, total of 4 hours, plus a long walk of 3 hours, by the middle of March some time, I'd say.

Ross