Posted by: NJ | 2009-09-08

5.1 and underweight

Hi please reply to me directly and not on the site.I am 5.1 (134cm) Female 42years old underweight 35kgs.I am a lazy eater and don' t have appetite either.Please suggest what to do?As I can go without eating for days.Should the need arise I just have tea and two to three biscuits.Your kind assistance is required.Hv a good day.P.s. I m not a vegetarian (I eat everything except pork n beef).Many thanks, NJ

Dear NJ
For obvious reasons, I can unfortunately not reply to Readers directly. I think that you need to urgently have a medical checkup to determine if there is an underlying physical or psychological cause for your lack of appetite and underweight. For basic information about gaining weight, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. Your ideal weight would be 40 kg.