Posted by: Kate | 2011-02-07

5 Year old with ''growing pains'' in shin bones

My 5 year old son occasionally complains about a sore leg. Usually during the night. I am riddle with fear that it may be something worse but my husband said that he was plagued with ''growing pains'' in his shin bones as a child.

My son describes the feeling as being cold and sore on top of his shin. So it is not a muscle ache in the leg. I rub his legs and warm him up but I eventually resort to giving him some pain medication.

As I mentioned, it is not all the time and months can go by without his leg or legs being sore. Should I be more concerned?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Kate
The phenomenon of "growing pains" does exist- not exactly sure why! Some kids just get it more so than others. I don't think you really need to worry, but if it becomes worse/more often, please see your doctor so that he can check this out.

Posted by: Telrita | 2011-03-09

Good day, my 12 year old daughter has a bump on bothe her legs just under her knees. these are at times very sore. the doctor told me they are growing pains and that these bumpes will dissapear. WHAT WOULD YOU RECCOMEND.

Reply to Telrita