Question
Posted by: Jolene | 2011/06/14

5 year old thinks she is fat

My 5 year old is very self conscious about her weight.
For about 2 years (3-5) she had a child in her class that kept telling her she is fat and ugly. This affected her alot as she would sometimes not want to eat her food as she was affraid it would make her fat and even said that the girl told her to stick her finger in her mouth to get thin. She even stood in front of the mirror and pull her tummy in and tell me that is what she wants to look like. We make a point of telling her she looks pretty and looks nice ect.
The little girll in her class has now left the school for the last 3 months and things have been much better, or so I thought. On Friday when stopping to pick some food up I told her that she must taste what I had bought as it was something new to her. I told her that it is healthy food and we eat healthy food to look after our bodies and to not get sick and that is why she must at least taste and let me know if she likes it.
Before we even got to the tasting she started to cry and she told my husband and I that she dreams to be thin and that her tummy is fat.
she is not at all over weight and is a normal built little girl, she is also not surrounded by people who keep talking about loosing weight or that they are fat either
What can I do to help my little girl from developing a serious eating disorder?

Make sure that the school disciplines the disgusting child in her class who teases her about being fat - such discriminatory and cruel behaviour in school-kids should never be tolerated. Make sure the school recognizes the risks also of a child who instructs and trains other kids in vomiting and perhaps other eating disorder behaviours. She sounds like a really troubled kid, and one wonders why she has left, and what may be happening to her.
But some of the damage she did is apparently lasting. Your daughter deserves to see a good child psychologist, to help her get the whole weight / shape / diet thing into perspective.

1