Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2009-03-23

5-year-old has strange reaction

I' m a nanny and tonight the 5-year-old boy I take care of woke up crying. I sleep in the room next to his, so I heard him and then tried to comfort him and asked him why he was crying. He turned his back on me and said " I.. don' t... want... you...to.. be here.. OUT!"  He was as proud and cold as he could be. Why is that? I was so worried about him and wanted to make him feel better because I thought he had had a nightmare. Why that reaction? It' s the second time it has happened in the last 6 months and both times he reacted like this. I don' t understand.

Maria's suggestions makes a lot of sense, as of course does your reaction. It could be, too, if this was not a nightmare, but night-time crying about his sorrow related to issues in his life, possibly about his parents, they he wanted privacy in his grief. Have you tried calmly, when he's awake and relating well to you, asking him about these episodes, making it clear you don't want to be nosy, but that you'd like to understand, because you want to help and to know how he would prefer you to respond.

1
Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-23

Patricia, perhaps he resents the fact that it is you coming to comfort him rather than his parents?

Reply to Maria