Question
Posted by: Worried mommy | 2011/05/16

5 year old

My 5 year old son sometimes says the weirdest stuff, like last night he told me he wished that he was never born. Or he''ll say he wishes that he was born a dog or something. When he says stuff like this he is deadly serious and seems down.
We have a family history of depression and I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 years ago and remember feeling depressed even as far as primary school.
What do I do?

OK, firstly, kids of many ages have ideas that seem odd to us, because they don't start thinking with our range of assumptions. So it's probably OK, but with a family history of Deprssion, and your own affective disorder, it would be wise to arange for him to see a child psychologist or child psychiatrist for a proper assesment, and a discusion of treatment options if this is thought necessary.

2
Posted by: MOTHER | 2011/05/17

Hi, my son, now 11 has ADD and OCD with depression which is now successfully treated, depression runs in our family. Aged 7/8 he started with similar eg. i wish i could die, and everybody hates me. Take him as soon as you can to a psychiatrist because if there is something wrong, medication works well with them even though you feel reluctant to put a young kid on meds, I found the things he said hard to believe coming from a child, who knows how the poor kid feels

Reply to MOTHER