Posted by: Jenny | 2009-02-21

5 weeks along and cramping badly

Please help I miscarried in Oct 2008 and had a d& c. did not get a period since Oct. First wk in Dec went to gynae who gave me Primolut N to induce period, got one on 17Dec. Jan 13th got another period. 9 Feb got another period, but then 8 Feb tested and got a faint line which i threw away, so then when i got my period I was positive i am not preg. but then 2 weeks later 20 Feb the time that i am suppose to be ovulating i started bleeding, with clots two big ones came out, exactly what led to my miscarriage the previous time, i bled from 5 weeks till i miscarried at 4months plus. so i phoned gynae who said i must go for bloods to confirm preg, went to sandton clinic and got results 45min later - I am pregnant - 5weeks also confirmed by the doc. My worry is 1) why did i get a normal period yet i was already pregnant? 2) I am cramping so badly, the bleeding has stopped though, it was just 1 day bleed. is this cramping normal, when will it stop? Gynae put me on Progesterone pills 100mg 3times a day for a month, your comments are most welcome

I am not sure why you did a pregnancy test if you had a period. It may be that something was different. The 'period' was probably an implantation bleed. The heavy bleed and cramping are concerning but you and your doctor are doing all that you can. You will have to see what happens in time.