Posted by: Char-Lynn van der Walt | 2009-09-03

5 months of cronic painful headaches

I have been having sever headaches constant since June, its not a migraine as I have had this before, its not stress because I have a relaxed job and life. I went for eye tests and all is fine. The pain is so sever that I loose focus, am very tired due to the pain. It is a sharp very intense pain and feels as if you are eating ICE COLD icebream, has the same pain effect, very sharp and stops you in your tracks. I am not sensitive to sound so its not a normal headache as everyone thinks. No amount or kind of pain killer helps so i dont even drink pain killers anymore. I cant bend over or else my brain feels as if it is falling out my forehead. I cant talk loud and the pain intensifies 10 fold but again I can handle loud noices such as the kids and music. I have been to the Dr three times in the last 4 months and each time I am told it is just a prolonged migrain. Any advise on what it could be. Went for blood tests for blood sugar, FBC, Cholestrol and thyroid but want to know if any of these can cause headaches or if the Dr is just covering all bases before she actually sends me to someone who knows what they are doing.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Char-Lynn,

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.